Compressed Files are Corrupted

Get help with problems, or report & discuss bugs in Collabtive

Compressed Files are Corrupted

Postby spentch » 23.10.2014, 01:34

I have a problem with compressed files *.zip and *.7Z files that after downloading from collabtive are corrupted. I checked with the host and I can ftp the file back and forth just fine using an ftp client such as filezilla. The file can be emailed just fine as well. It is only when it is taken from collabtive that it is corrupted and cannot be uncompressed. I never had this problem with version 1.2 but I am now using 2.0. What is the client/service that collabtive uses to upload and download files?
Steve
spentch

Re: Compressed Files are Corrupted

Postby Philipp » 23.10.2014, 07:06

See this: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13188#p24914

Collabtive 2.0 uses AES encryption on the files uploaded. So you can not access them via FTP or other "direct" means on your server.
Only way to access file is to use the Collabtive file manager.
Philipp
Site Admin

Postby spentch » 28.10.2014, 01:13

Did the change to an AES encryption occur during the upgrade to 2.0?
If so, does that mean the files are more protected from hacking?
Would the AES encryption slowdown the file uploads and require a longer upload duration. I am having problems uploading large files that I didn't have on the earlier version.
spentch

Postby spentch » 28.10.2014, 01:15

Maybe this is not the place to ask but why would encryption corrupt a compressed file? Can I remove the encryption from collabtive so I can go back to the way it was?
spentch

Postby Philipp » 29.10.2014, 12:28

spentch wrote:Did the change to an AES encryption occur during the upgrade to 2.0?
If so, does that mean the files are more protected from hacking?

Yes. That is the main motivation for implementing this. AES is an industry strength encryption algorithm suitable for "secret" level documents.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_E ... n_Standard for more details.

Basically, files can now only be accessed through Collabtive. This also allows to enforce proper permissions on them.
They can not be accessed any other way (direct HTTP link, FTP, SSH, etc), like it was possible before.

Would the AES encryption slowdown the file uploads and require a longer upload duration. I am having problems uploading large files that I didn't have on the earlier version.

Yes. AES Encryption does need some CPU power to complete. This would slow down uploads on larger files.
It will also slow down display / download of encrypted files, as they need to be decrypted by Collabtive before being delivered to the user.
Philipp
Site Admin

Return to Problems and Bugs